May 14, 2007

verabschieden...

Party!! I'm not exactly sure what we were celebrating yesterday at the BBQ party after church. They said it was a good-bye party, but it seems to me that this should be a sad thing, and it was actually a lot of fun. There were a lot of people there and it was neat to see our friends from different areas of our lives interacting. Well, I say it was a lot of fun, and it was, but it was also very sad. Like saying good-bye to one of my best freinds, Catja. Or another good friend, Renate, who is expecting her second baby in June. Or one of the girls in our youth group, Sarinah, who is leaving for a year long stay in Africa in August. I have the feeling that I'm going to miss so much by not being here.
At the same time, though, I'm really excited about seeing family and friends in the states, about taking a vacation on the beach, about being in my brother's wedding. Furlough is a strange beast, with a somewhat inexplicable nature. I guess it could be summed up in that it is a reminder that our hearts are simply not home yet. "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men..." Ecclesiastes 3:11a